Fight Fire With Sapphire!



~ Monday, April 07, 2003
 
Appalling Nazi Matt Hayden takes a typically mean-spirited swipe at the artistic community of Fremantle. He dares to suggest that some of Deckchair Theatre's productions might be less than enjoyable! How callous of him. He's actually exhorting people to express critical views! But Deckchair employs wimmin, ethnics and indigenes. And as we all know, they need all the encouragement they can get.

What's more appalling is that he calls himself a "writer". Yet he's never received an arts grant. I mean, er, please explain. How can you be a writer, and never have received a grant?

Actually, his failure in this regard explains his animosity. He's just jealous. He didn't make the grade (and I don't mean that in an elitist way) and so he wants to diminish the achievements of those who have.

Yeah, well, Herr Hayden, if you're reading this: You may think that arts funding is all about politics. But it's not. It's about merit, pure and simple. And your right-wing, conservative, Great McSatan-loving, Starbucks coffee-drinking, Israel-supporting, women-commodifying, science-worshipping, GM food-eating, reincarnation-debunking, patriarchal peenie-waving, alternative lifestyle and energy source-slandering ideas just have no merit, okay! End of (non-narrative) story.

I mean, hey, just get real okay! (And when I say "real, I don't mean that in a "rational" way. Because as we all know nothing is "real". Everything is constructed.)

Wow. I can't believe I just wrote that!

Hey, fellow travellers, I know those last couple of paragraphs were like, pretty severe. But I'm angry, and I have a right to be! You see, when it comes to Deckchair I am a bit biased -- although, of course, in all my other entries I'm completely impartial and even-handed -- because I do have fond memories of the place. You see, I used to be their Artistic Director.
Comments: Post a Comment

E-Mail Me I accept donations through PayPal!, the #1 online payment service! Listed on Blogwise

Powered By Blogger TM